- 1. Introduction
- 2. Random variables
- 3. Basic distributions
- 4. Correlation
- 5. Inequalities
- 6. Limit laws
- 7. The Poisson process
- 8. Renewal theory
- 9. Discrete time Markov chains
- 10. Continuous time Markov chains
- 11. Applications of Markov chains
- 12. Branching processes
- 13. General queuing theory
- 14. Queuing models
- 15. General characteristics of graphs
- 16. The shortest path problem
- 17. The efficiency of multicast
- 18. The hopcount to an anycast group
- Appendix A. Stochastic matrices
- Appendix B. Algebraic graph theory
- Appendix C. Solutions of problems
All comments are welcome! Good comments will be acknowledged in a second edition, that is approved by Cambridge University Press and scheduled around 2014. A paperback version of the book (ISBN 978-0-521-10873-7) is available.
We complement the book with a list of symbols and a set of additional exercises that is regularly extended. The solutions will be provided by email to instructors, who use the book.
Unfortunately, errors have been found, which we have listed in the Errata.